Sunday, July 22, 2007

I'm speechless

A woman at our church this weekend came back from a missionary trip to Brazil,
where she was with a group of teens who ministered to children who's families live
in a dump. Literally, the town is a dumping ground and their "job" is to pick through
the trash to see what the family can sell and that is how they live. This team of young
people who could not speak Portuguese but had to try to communicate in anyway they could, went to show these children the love of Christ. They took them to a camp, where
they helped them get clean and brush their teeth for the first time...ever. I was shocked
to say that these children lived in poverty was an understatement. As I listened to them
speak and saw the pictures of the faces of children that were lit up from having someone care about them, letting them play at the pool and playing games with them and most of all
praying with them, showing them God's love, just tore at my heart. One of her final
words was that when they invited the parents to come and visit the children on the last day
of camp a mother told her I feel like my child is a child of someone important, to which she
said of course they are, and so are you. It broke my heart. I can't even imagine.

I have lived my life in two of the most affluent areas of the country, sometimes I feel a little
sick when all I see are BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes and every luxury car known to man driving
down our street and a McMansion around every corner. I know I am blessed and sometimes I know I get caught up in my own little world of worries (truly the enemy picking away at me) but I know with out a doubt God is sovereign. All I have is my gratitude for all the things that I have been blessed with, Thank you God for the life you have given me.

"He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor. "For the foundations of the earth are the LORD's; upon them he has set the world.1 Samuel 2:7-9 "

My friend Mike Meyers Web Site he is a missionary in Brazil.

www.openarmsbrazil.org

No comments:

Baby Ticker has been removed

Ticker has been removed due to arrival of baby on July 1 at 1:15 AM.